Skip to main content

How to get the support you need

There are lots of reasons people don’t speak out or seek support when they experience abuse. Fear. Shame. Confusion. Worried they won’t be believed or taken seriously. Being uncertain of what support is available and how this could help them. Wanting to forget it ever happened.

The trouble is, trying to cope with things alone can be really hard. So have a think about who you could tell. Whether it’s a friend, a family member or a professional, they can help you through it.

Why talking can help

Telling someone about your experience can help you to deal with the abuse and get extra support if you need it. That may be emotional support, practical support, health advice and/or legal support.

There’s no pressure on you to do this, and no right or wrong person to tell. You might start with friends or family or someone in your community that you trust.

When you’re ready, and only if you want to, you might choose to talk to a specialist support organisation.

Specialist support organisations

Specialist support organisations exist to help those who have experienced abuse. They can listen and guide you with whatever you need and many of them are confidential.

If you’re not sure who to speak to, use this filter to find the right support for you.


Showing 33 results below

Women's Aid

Rape Crisis

Revenge Porn Helpline

Live Fear Free helpline (Wales)

Suzy Lamplugh Trust: National Stalking Helpline

Refuge - National Domestic Abuse helpline and livechat (England)

Karma Nirvana: honour based abuse and forced marriage helpline


Sign Health

IKWRO - Women's Rights Organisation

Southall Black Sisters

NSPCC FGM helpline

Forced Marriage Unit

The Financial Support Line for Victims of Domestic Abuse

The Survivors Trust

Victim Support

Safeline National Telephone and Online Counselling Service

Jewish Women's Aid

Muslim Women's Network


Advocacy After Fatal Domestic Abuse

Parental Education Growth Support



NSPCC Childline

Male Survivors Partnership

Men’s Advice Line - Domestic Abuse Helpline for Men


ManKind Initiative

Survivors UK

The National Male Survivor Helpline and Online Service

Domestic and Sexual Abuse helpline (Northern Ireland)

Safer Scotland

Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs)

Sexual assault referral centres (SARCs) offer medical, practical and emotional support 24/7 to anyone who has been raped, sexually assaulted or abused. SARCs are located across the country and are here for everyone, regardless of when an incident happened. You can find your local centre here:

Domestic abuse - Ask for ANI

If you're experiencing domestic abuse, you may also be able to seek help at your local pharmacy by asking a member of staff for 'Ani'. You can tell if they're participating in the codeword scheme if they have the 'Ask for Ani' poster in the window. They will offer you a private space, provide a phone and ask if you need support from the police or other domestic abuse support services. For more information and support services for victims of domestic abuse, visit Domestic abuse: how to get help - GOV.UK (

Past abuse

If you have suffered abuse in your past or when you were a child, it’s never too late to get support. Visit #ItStillMatters Sexual abuse support – Support for victims-survivors of sexual abuse

Child sexual abuse

If you are concerned about child sex abuse, find information and support here. Let's stop abuse together

Want to report it?

You might also choose to report what happened to you in a more formal way, whether at work, university or school, or by going to the police.

Remember, in an emergency call 999.

If it’s unsafe to speak, you can then press 55 and you will be transferred to a police call handler trained to deal with ‘silent calls’.



I’ve come to terms with what happened now, but I honestly don’t believe I would have without specialised support.

*Testimonials are anonymous to protect identities, but all are based on real experiences